Being Beta

Exercises in the higher banter with One of 26. Elsewhere called 'poet of adland'. By a whipple-squeezer. Find out why being beta is the new alpha: betarish at googlemail dot com

Monday, June 05, 2006

I wish I wasn't so confused

Last night I witnessed *new* *sensation* Sandi Thom debut at No 1 on Top Of The Pops with her lament 'I wish I was a punk rocker (with flowers in my hair)'.

I know, I know, it's taking chocolate from the proverbial nursery. But still, shall we just point out the inherent incompatibility of that title (which doubles as the first line), because as any fule kno punks of both the US and UK variety were rebelling against the stasis and general selling out by the hippie generation of post 1967. And so, Sandi, punks wouldn't have wouldn't worn flowers.

Oh, and for someone who has come to fame and prominence and success via MySpace/webcasting/downloading, singing:

"And the media couldn't buy your soul
And computers were still scary and we didn'’t know everything"

well, it sticks in the craw _just a little bit_. Especially the spin that she was a struggling artist. Who had both a manager, and a PR agency at the time of her webcasts, in lieu of gigs round the country. Deconstruction of said phenomenon here.

I like my pop music to be artless and honest about its lies and its artlessness. Hear hear for artifice, and non-hypocritical pop pap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home